- What makes Red Moon Herbs products different and how do you make them?
- How do I use these products?
- What is the difference between an herbal extract and a tincture?
- How do I make a nourishing herbal infusion?
- Do these products have an expiration date?
- What size do I choose?
- How much do I take and how do I calculate my dosage?
- What kind of top will my bottle come with?
- How long will a bottle last if I am taking it daily?
- How would I determine the dosages for children?
- How would I determine the dosages for pets?
- Do you make non-alcohol-based extracts?
- Is your oatstraw gluten-free?
- What kind of comfrey do you sell?
- Are there essential oils in any of your products?
- How do I place an order?
- Do you offer any bulk discounts?
- How and where do you ship?
- What are your shipping costs?
- How do you handle backorders?
- Do you offer a satisfaction guarantee?
- What is your return policy?
- We at Red Moon love our work and have deep respect for the earth and its gifts. Unlike many other herbal companies, we choose to harvest plants that grow abundantly in our bioregion, allowing us to produce peak potency extracts from fresh plants using the finest ingredients. Learn more about our products.
- We use 100 proof organic cane alcohol to make our extracts. For the sake of absolute transparency, here's more about our process: we dilute 190 proof cane with distilled water to arrive at a safe, effective 100 proof which is just the right strength. We use fresh plant material harvested at its peak and processed immediately in a 1:2 ratio with almost all of our extracts to make them as potent as possible, so if anyone is concerned about high "grain" alcohol (or cane), please understand that the fresh plant material dilutes the extract even more to take most extracts to a proof between 60-80 (30-40% alcohol by volume). In days gone by, we used 100 proof vodka (which is usually made with whatever grain is available) and 100 proof organic grain alcohol (corn or wheat) and we found numerous customers who mentioned their sensitivity to corn or wheat and so decided to make the switch to cane. Please let us know if you have any questions concerning our medicine making process.
- Dried Herbs: You may wish to make either a tea or an infusion with our dried herbs. Teas are a small amount of herb steeped for a short amount of time, while infusions are a larger amount of herb (typically 1 oz) steeped for a long amount of time (4-8 hours). While teas are useful for dealing with acute situations, infusions are nourishing and nutritive food-like beverages which are helpful for chronic conditions.
- To make a tea, steep 1-2 teaspoons of dried herb in a cup of boiled water for a few minutes or to taste. Strain and enjoy with a bit of honey, if you wish.
- To make an herbal infusion, place one ounce (about a cup) of dried herb into a quart mason jar. Fill it with boiling water, put a lid on it, and let it steep for 4-8 hours. If you like, you can add a pinch of mint or licorice root for flavor. Then strain out the plant material, compost it, and enjoy one or more cups of the liquid daily. Infusions are delicious warm or cold and can be sweetened with honey or any other natural sweetener. They keep for 2-3 days in the refrigerator.
- To make a decoction, place 2-4 tablespoons of the dried herb in a pot and fill with water, making sure to cover the herb well. Bring to a boil, then simmer covered for 30 minutes to two hours. Let sit overnight, then strain, and refrigerate, use, or preserve.
- Check out this step by step guide for making nourishing herbal infusions.
- We generally recommend working with the infusion herbs separately (i.e. oatstraw on day 1, nettle on day 2, linden on day 3, red clover on day 4 and repeat) because then you gain a deeper understanding of how each herb feels in your body and what effect it has on you. If you like or dislike a particular one more, it's easier to use it more or less because you know which one it is (rather than having to pick it out of a blend). This approach is called 'simpling' and can also be applied to using herbal extracts.
- Click here, here, and here for some fun videos on making nourishing herbal infusions.
- Extracts: Alcohol-based extracts are best absorbed by the body when diluted in a bit of water. One ‘dropperful’ equals about 25-30 drops (when you squeeze the rubber bulb, the dropper fills about halfway up). Dosage guidelines are included on each bottle. You can take several herbal extracts at a time by placing the correct dosage of each in a little water and there should be no contraindications between them. In general, you can mix the herbal extracts you are taking without issues. You may take them between meals or with meals, as you wish. If you are extremely sensitive to alcohol, you may choose to take them with meals.
- Oils: To apply one of our herbal oils, place a quarter size drop on the intended area of skin and massage it in.
- Salves: Generously rub salve into any affected area of the skin as often as is needed. Remember, our salves and oils are for external use only!
- Vinegars: We use our wild herb vinegars instead of mineral supplements because they are so rich in trace minerals and other nutrients such as calcium. They are delicious in salad dressing, in soups, on cooked greens, or in any recipe calling for vinegar. Some people take a spoonful in water or on its own as a daily tonic.
In short, nothing. The two words mean the same thing: a whole plant extracted into a liquid carrier (in this case, organic cane alcohol).
None of our products have an expiration date, but their longevity will depend on which products you’ve chosen and how you store them. All of our products are best stored in a cool, dry place out of direct sunlight. Here are some specific guidelines for using our products at their peak potency.
- Dried herbs retain their potency for 1-2 years. For best long-term storage, transfer from our packaging into a jar or other airtight container and keep out of direct sunlight.
- Extracts (alcohol-based) retain their potency for 3-5 years or more.
- Herbal oils are best kept in the refrigerator. Refer to the 'Best Used By' date on each bottle. In general, these will last for at least one year but if they are stored correctly, they may last for up to two years or more.
- Salves are herbal oils with beeswax melted into them, which increases their stability and shelf life. Refer to the 'Best Used By' date on each jar.
- Vinegars are best used within 1-2 years.
This depends on how you will be taking it. Herbs are usually taken either for tonic or acute situations. If you are taking an herb for a tonic issue, you might want to invest in a larger size. However, if you are taking an herb for an acute issue, a smaller bottle will suffice.
- Tonic: when we take a tonic to support a major function of the body (for example, the nervous system, reproductive system, or lungs), we usually take it for at least three to four months to see results. Sometimes it makes sense to take a tonic, such as vitex berry, for a year or more. So we usually choose a 4 oz or 8 oz bottle to save money. Tonics include: Breathe Clear, Deep Roots, Green Man, Heart Tonic, Immune Blend, Long Life, Lung Support, Lymph Love, Menopause Tonic, Women’s Mooncycle Blend, and many of our single extracts.
- Acute: when we use an herb in our medicine chest for more acute situations, like a belly ache or muscle tension, we usually take it once or several times in a day, perhaps for few days at a time, or more, depending on the situation. So a 1 oz bottle is usually enough, or 2 oz if it’s one that we turn to more often. Quick acting herbs include: Belly Elixir, Flash Dance, Nerve & Muscle Blend, Sleepy Blend, Viral Spiral, and many of our single extracts.
Pictured here are a 2 oz, 4 oz, and 8 oz herbal extract bottle. Our 1 oz extracts are pictured on every extract page.
Check the dosage on the bottle, as well as any other resources you like to use such as your herbal practitioner or trusted book, to determine how much to take. A 'dropperful' of extract has about 25-30 drops. Most of the herbs we use have dosage amounts of about 2-3 dropperfuls 1-2 times/day.
If you would like to calculate the plant amount in mg per dose, you can use the following (this method applies to all extracts made with fresh plant material in a 1:2 ratio):
There is 1/2 oz of fresh herb material per 1 oz bottle. 1/2 oz of herb = 14 g herb. 14 g = 14000 mg herb per bottle which equals 583 mg actual herb per 25 drops. Each 1 oz bottle has at least 24 doses of this.
Our 1, 2, and 4 oz extracts come with droppers. Our 8 and 16 oz extracts come with caps. Our 1, 2, 4, 8, and 16 oz oils come with caps.
- 1 oz bottle @ 2 dropperfuls a day = 20 – 25 days
- 1 oz bottle @ 4 dropperfuls a day = 10 – 12 days
- 2 oz bottle @ 4 dropperfuls a day = 20 – 25 days
- 4 oz bottle @ 2 dropperfuls a day = 3 – 4 months
- 4 oz bottle @ 4 dropperfuls a day = 2 months
- 8 oz bottle @ 2 dropperfuls a day = 6 – 8 months
- 8 oz bottle @ 4 dropperfuls a day = 3 – 4 months
Remember: Most tonics need to be taken for 3-4 months to see results.
The suggested dosages on the labels are for an average adult, around 150 lbs. To determine the dosage for a child, divide the suggested dosage accordingly. For example, a 30 lb. child would take one fifth of an adult’s dosage. Therefore, a 25-50 drop suggested dosage would become 5-10 drops. For babies, dosages may be as low as 1-3 drops. Extracts are best taken in water, tea or juice.
No. All of our extracts use certified organic alcohol. If you are concerned about your child, or yourself, ingesting the alcohol you can put the suggested dosage into a cup of hot water. Alcohol has a lower boiling point than water, so most of the alcohol is released in the steam. However, note that the amount of alcohol in the suggested dosage is minimal. One dropperful (25-30 drops) of a tincture has about as much alcohol as a ripe banana!
Our oatstraw is (non-certified) gluten-free and there is no wheat processed at the facility that processes our oatstraw.
You can place an order online, by mail, by phone, or shop in select stores for Red Moon Herbs products. Learn more about ways to place an order.
Yes. We offer a 10% discount on orders over $150.00 and a 20% discount on orders over $250.00. Use coupon code redmoon10 on orders over $150.00 or redmoon20 on orders over $250.00 and the discount will be applied in the online shopping cart. This cannot be combined with other offers.
We ship via UPS or USPS. We will determine the best method for each order. We only ship within the U.S. We prefer to send packages to physical addresses rather than to post office boxes. We DO offer FREE shipping (or a $10 flat rate to Alaska and Hawaii) on orders of $99 or more. On orders of less than $99, shipping to HI or AK will incur an $10 surcharge to cover our shipping costs.
We will strive to process your order as soon as possible, usually within 1-3 business days. We typically ship through USPS Priority and First Class and while we cannot guarantee when you will receive your order, expect to receive it within 5-7 business days of order placement or sooner. Our shipping days are generally Monday through Friday.
We try to keep our shipping costs as reasonable as possible, both for your sake and for ours. Our shipping costs are calculated based on the weight of your order by the USPS, or in some cases by the UPS if that method is more economical. We always offer FREE shipping for orders over $99 (this DOES NOT include wholesale orders or herb bundles - it also does not include Hawaii and Alaska, for which orders over $99 incur a flat rate $10 shipping cost).
In rare cases, we will notify you if we need to backorder an item. We will ask you if you’d like to hold the order until we have all your items available or if you prefer we will ship your items separately and charge you twice for shipping.
We stand behind our products absolutely and offer all of our customers a 100% Satisfaction Guarantee. If for any reason you are not satisfied, we will replace your product or refund your money within 30 days of purchase. In these cases, we are unable to pay for the return shipping (unless there was an error with your order, of course). Thank you for understanding!
If you are unsatisfied with a product or have issues with your order please email email@example.com to let us know within 30 days of receiving your order. We will do our best to accommodate your needs and make sure that you are provided with excellent customer service.
*** Due to this unprecedented health crisis, we are temporarily adjusting our refund and return policies. To ensure the health and safety of our employees and customers, all sales are final. Thank you for understanding.